Many owners want to know if they need to bring their Chihuahua to the veterinarian if the puppy or dog is stung by bees, wasps or other.
And the answer will depend on how many times your dog was stung and if he is showing any signs of a reaction. If you estimate a total of 15 to 20 stings, it is best to call the vet and ahead we will discuss symptoms of an allergic reaction, which can occur with just 1 sting.
1. Remove stingers.
With honeybees, the barbs on the stingers will cause them to embedded in the skin
. Do not use your fingers or tweezers to remove these, as doing so can cause more venom to be released into your Chihuahua’s system. You will want to use a credit card to scrape them out. Be sure to check all areas: under the tail, in between paw pads, etc.
2. Bathe your Chihuahua.
Giving your dog a quick shampoo can help remove natural body oils that would otherwise get in the way of topical solutions that are part of treatment.
With your vet’s approval, giving Benadryl
can help decrease swelling and treat minor cases of itching and allergic reaction. Typical dosing for canines is 1 mg (NOT ml) per pound of body weight, given every 8 hours.
4. Apply a topical.
The goal is to use a paste to neutralize the acidic venom. For a Chihuahua with bee stings, yellow jacket stings or fire ant bites, a mix of baking soda and water works best. Once you mix this into a thick paste, apply it to any marks for 15 minutes. You may need to rinse that off and repeat a second time. For wasp and hornet stings, cotton balls soaked in vinegar often works best to neutralize that particular venom, though baking soda will work to some degree if you do not have any vinegar.
Do not use both vinegar and baking soda at the same time, as they will render themselves inactive.
5. Apply ice.
In cases of minor swelling (moderate to severe swelling is a red flag), gently pressing an ice pack on those areas can help decrease the inflammation.
6. Monitor your Chihuahua. Perhaps the most important element of all, is to closely monitor your Chihuahua to see how his body is reacting. Remember that it can happen to a dog even if he did not previously have one. And a tolerance for one insect does not apply in regard to others.
There are 2 dangers:
allergic reaction causing anaphylaxis and accumulation of venom may induce a toxic reaction.
This can occur up to 45 minutes afterward AND in cases of multiple stings that result in kidney failure, it can be days afterward.